Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Post Race Feasting

After a race, I like to treat myself to a quality meal. Sometimes it's a boatload of sushi; sometimes it's a mess of mexican food; sometimes it's ribs or fried chicken. A good pigout session is justified by the number of calories burned in a race (yes, even a sprint distance race). After Saturday's race was rained on (not out...the race happened, I didn't) my wife and I went for a ride in the afternoon and put in some hard work in the wind (25+ mph gusts). Even though there was no racing on Saturday, there were calories burned that needed to be replenished.

Saturday's quality meal: Tapas and beer at Cafe Luna.

Cafe Luna has been my favorite Champaign restaurant since I first ate there many years ago. They serve very high quality meals in a comfortably classy setting. The restaurant recently moved from its Campustown location at Fourth and Green into the old train station at University and Chestnut in downtown Champaign. My wife and I were anxious to see the new space and see what the menu had to offer...we weren't dissapointed. The old space was "intimate" and by intimate, I mean cramped. It wasn't uncomfortable, just small and easily crowded...not much space between the tables. The new space is very nice with plenty of tables and plenty of room...a nice upgrade.

We did not have reservations, but we intended to sit at the bar anyway, so seating was immediate. I ordered a beer, Schlafly Oatmeal Stout and my wife ordered a sparkling wine. Both were yummy. We each decided to order three items from the tapas menu and share, so were could maximize tasting. I selected Roasted Spring Vegetables, Tuna Tartar Trio (spicy, Shitake, and Herb), and Flank Steak Crostini with Fig Jam, Arugula, and Blue Stilton. My wife picked Ceviche Scallops on Celeriac Root with Orange Filet and Avocado, Sauteed Asparagus with Sundried Tomato and Chive Butter, and Bell Pepper Crabcakes. All of our selections were outstanding. I had another beer and my wife ordered a white sangria. We decided to have one more item from the tapas menu and picked the Strawberry Rhubarb Pork Ribs. Yum-yum! I need to race soon, so I can go back for more.

I highly recommend this Champaign establishment for anyone looking for a delicious high-quality meal.

No comments: