Monday, June 23, 2008

Ooof.

I had a long run planned for yesterday. I was hoping to get 8 miles in. We had another early morning rain followed by sun and heat. I headed out around noon and felt OK. I didn't have tons of energy, probably due to the previous day's ride, but I wanted to run.

I got about a mile and a half into the run when my legs started feeling really fatigued. I was acutally happy for a red light so I could stop and rest for a couple of seconds. Sometimes I'll feel a little sluggish early in a run, but once I get into a nice rhythm it gets better. It wasn't getting better...

At mile 3 I had decided the long run wasn't happening on this day. My route is a figure 8 set of squares that intersect near my house, so from mile 3 to mile 4.55 I was having a little mind/body struggle. It's hard when you are used to pushing through pain and fatigue to tell yourself, "OK - I'm just going to stop." But I think it's necessary sometimes...not doing so can lead to injuries...gotta maintain that mind/body balance.

I'll try to get another run in today.

No comments: