Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Good Brick

Squeezed in a nice brick workout last night between thunderstorms. My friend Andrew invited me to ride and run with him near his house. He has a good 13 mile bike TT course through country roads, and a choice of 3 mile out and back runs.

After riding a quick 10 mile TT the night before, I wasn't sure how I would feel on the bike. But, I felt good...really good. I had a nice pace and my cadence was fast and strong. I'm hoping this bodes well for this weekend's race. In my last race, May Madness, I just felt like a little power was lacking on the bike. I'm hoping I've timed my bike workouts well going into Tri Shark.

Following the ride, we took off for the run. I chose a route to the west (into the weather) and Andrew headed east. I was planning on running about 3.4 miles, but I had to cut a mile off due to looming dark clouds and flashes of lightning that I was running directly into. I picked a turn-around point and headed back. The run felt good. I tried reminding myself to control my breathing early in the run and get the legs stretched out...

It was great to get a workout in on an unfamiliar course. Often workouts on familiar territory can feel too static..."here's a rise in the road...I can go fast here...need to brake here for the turn...yawn." So, it was nice to ride a course where all I knew was where to turn.

No comments: