Friday, June 20, 2008

Outdoor Swimming Season

My wife and I hit one of our local pools, Sholem, for lap swim last night (7:00-8:00pm). Aside from a May triathlon in a small lake, this was my first outside swim of the season. It was great (mostly). There was still plenty of sunshine and warmth in the air when we got into the pool, and we still had plenty of light left to get home when we were done.

Most of my swims are done at an indoor facility in Urbana, UIAC. Usually this works out ok, except that a lot of the time in the evening, half of the lanes are in use by the local swim club and there are older ladies doing water aerobics in the deep end and I sometimes have to swim through a slick of their perfume. Seriously, perfume in the pool??? CACK!

Sholem is on our side of town, just a few minutes away on bikes. We rode over and paid our $3 each to lap swim. The lanes are set up in an area of the pool that is 3 ft 6 in deep. One disadvantage to swimming in water this shallow is that the bottom of the pool is clearly visible. This means that every bandaid or other bit of gross debris left over from the day is easily identifiable. I think the net effect of this is that I swam a little faster, so I could get out of the water. I got in a series of 4 500s and felt pretty good. I'd missed my last couple of scheduled swims, so it was very necessary to get back in the water.

I'll keep going back due to the proximity and cost advantages, but I hope they can get all that junk off the bottom of the pool.

No comments: