Monday, July 14, 2008

Taper Time

Saturday the 19th is "A" race day - Evergreen. I'm excited...and a little nervous.

I got a long run of 7+ miles in on Saturday. It was hot, hot, hot and humid, humid, humid. I was completely soaked with sweat when I got home. I did take it a little bit easy and took several water breaks.

Sunday my legs felt good, but I could tell my body needed a little more rest. I was going to go long on the bike, but I have bumped that until today. After work I'll head out for 30 miles or so on the bike - last long workout before race day.

I'm going to go with a taper that maintains intensity but drastically cuts volume. After today's ride, I'll get one more run and possibly two swims in. I do have softball games on Wednesday (my birthday). I'm hoping they don't beat me up too much. The past couple of softball weeks gave me a sore knee, sore muscles, and a huge bruise on my inner thigh from a grounder that took a nasty hop. I contemplated skipping the games this week, but only briefly. I'm playing.

No comments: