Thursday, July 10, 2008

Back With a Vengeance

Ran and swam tonight. 6 mile run then a 1750 yard swim. I planned to do this workout on Tuesday, but our 60% chance of rain turned into massive thunderstorms. I've been dealing with some motivational issues too. This is supposed to be a big training week leading up to my A race, but other life issues (looking for a new job) have gotten in the way, caused some stress, and made me a little depressed.

I went for a ride last night, but had to force myself to go. I got all dressed and ready and then just felt like sitting. I finally rolled out and felt pretty good afterwards. I only went a little more than half of what I had on my training calendar, but I think it helped a lot.

Tonight's run was hot. The bank clock/thermometer on the corner where I start my run said 87 when I left, and 85 when I got back 46 minutes later. It's in the sun, so it usually reads a couple degrees higher than what weather.com says, but I'm in the sun too. Regardless, I was hot and looking for shade to run in.

My swim felt good. Although, about 300 yards into my second 500 one of my feet started feeling like it was going to cramp. I stopped and tried to stretch it out. Then about 10 minutes later my other foot started to cramp. Then I was getting the beginnings of calf cramps when I pushed off the walls. I cut my swim a little short, hoping to avoid any serious cramps. My right calf did cramp when I got out, but I was able to stretch it and keep it from really balling up.

All in all, I feel like I'm back into my training groove after tonight. Tomorrow's a rest day, but I'm going to get an open water swim in this weekend and a long run and bike before tapering next week. Evergreen in 8 days!

No comments: