Monday, September 1, 2008

Awesome Hill Training Day!

On a scale from one to awesome, today was an awesome training day. I went out to Kickapoo Park, where I have run the Mountain Goat Hill Run 15K a couple of times, to do a ride/run hill brick. I've read that the Hagg Lake course is heavy on the hills, so I want to prepare as best I can here in flat central IL.

The hills on this ride are short, but quite steep. So it's not a long steady slog to get up them, but rather a short, intense effort. I did a nearly 4 mile loop 5 times, then I did a quick transition and 'ran' the Mountain Goat course, which is a 5K (the 10K and 15K are just multiple loops of the course). I had to walk a couple of times on the run...it was 90+ degrees today and I ran out of water. But I felt good the whole time...I'm planning to do this a few more times before Nationals - a couple of times at Kickapoo and a couple of times down in Charleston on the Charleston Challenge Duathlon course (woohoo more hills!).

No comments: