Monday, May 17, 2010

I Bought Some New Feet



I spent $75 on some new feet.

Lemme 'splain. I wanted to run barefoot, so I got some shoes that look just like feet, except they're blacker and rubber-ier than my permanent feet.

I was just going to take off my shoes and socks and run in my naked feet. But here's the thing. I'm a gear geek, and there's no gear involved in actual barefoot running. Where's the fun in that? I need to buy something to engage in any activity, right?

I've run a few times in my new feet, and I like them a lot. I have gotten some pretty icky blisters though. I have blisters on my feet and sore calves. You're supposed to take it slow when first starting with these things, but I don't do that - so I suffer.

In fact, on my last "barefoot" run I could feel those blister-prone spots heating up, so I stopped and took off the Five Fingers, bared my soles, and ran. It was ok for a bit, but then I started hitting those tiny little sharp pebbles and OUCH. Those little things hurt. I finished up the run with the Five Fingers and continued to blister. I'm hoping my real feet toughen up soon.

I really do like running in these feet. It forces good form, and I run a little faster in them too. I've got a 5 mile trail run this weekend and I'm planning on running it in the Five Fingers. Blisters be damned.

No comments: